GCHS Dance and Flagline Frequently Asked Try Out Questions
1. When are try outs? Dance is May 13th in the Band Room which is in the front of the school to the left of the reception office/flag pole. Flag is May 14th in the Gym which is in the front right side of the school and is clearly marked.
2. What is the try out process? The dance tryout consists of kicks, splits and a short dance routine that will be taught that day. The flag tryout also consists of a routine that included a short flag routine that may include some dance moves such as kicks and splits.
3. Do I need previous dance experience to try out for danceline? We encourage everyone to try out for the activities they are interested in. Many of the girls on the dance team have previous dance studio experiences, gymnastics, flagline, cheerleading and other performance backgrounds.
4. What should I wear? Any fitted athletic clothing is fine. For dance tryouts we recommend dance shoes or socks. It may be difficult to turn in tennis shoes. For flag tryouts tennis shoes, jazz shoes, socks or preferred footwear is fine.
5. How does the tryout process work? You will sign in and be assigned a number. We will teach a short routine and you will have minimal time to practice it. You will then perform the routine in small groups for the judges.
6. Who are the judges? The band director Mr. DeLadurantey and Coach Rhoades and Coach Shoemaker
7. When do I found out if I made it? Is there a set number of people that will make the team? The team is announced the same day shortly after tryouts. There is not a set number of people that will make the team. Each year the size of the team depends on the talent at try outs.
8. Can my parents, family members or friends stay at try outs? No, the try out is closed to everyone except individuals trying out for the team.
9. I have more questions. Who can I contact? You may email Coach Shoemaker at Alison7704@aol.com
We encourage everyone to tryout and look forward to seeing you there!
Danceline & Flagline Team Requirements:
Summer Practices, MANDATORY Band Camp(See Band Calendar), Fall Tuesday & Thursday Weekly Practices, Minimum GPA, Enrollment in Danceline/Flagline Class
If you have any questions please email Coach Shoemaker at Alison7704@aol.com